I want my own Oscars After Party.

Was up this morning to watch the 83rd Academy Awards. There were several draws to it for me this year, despite them being unable to get any of the Twilight trio to guest. One was James Franco and Anne Hathaway hosting. Another was that I've watched four out of the ten films nominated, and am looking forward to seeing three more. (We get some of the films later here.) Lastly, Colin Firth! <3 Also, Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield and Armie Hammer...

I am happy that most of my favorites to win, won. But then again, Colin Firth and Natalie Portman were such shoo-ins for Best Actor and Actress, it was bordering on boring. LOL. The fight really was in the Best Picture category, except, apparently, that was a lock for The King's Speech, too. At one point, I thought maybe The Social Network or Inception would at least have a chance? I guess not.

Personally, I was rooting for Inception. The Social Network was brilliant, of course. The screenplay was just a beautiful batter of words, made even more wonderful by the delivery of the cast, in particular Jesse Eisenberg. His nomination and Aaron Sorkin's win for the script was a very well-deserved icing on the cake! But, Inception! The idea, the execution, the screenplay, and the TOTAL MINDFUCK afterwards. I think it deserves an Oscar JUST for messing with our heads. How many films can do that? I was surprised that Christopher Nolan wasn't even nominated for Best Director. I am glad that they did get four awards, for cinematography, sound editing, sound mixing and visual effects.

Now, if you're on Twitter and following other people's live-tweets, you'll notice all the hoopla regarding the hosting. I admit, there were awkward moments. James and Anne felt like Eeyore and Tigger. Except for the part where he came out dressed in a gown, James felt detached from everything. (Ronald kept tweeting, "James is so HIIIIIIGGGGHHH.") I think Anne tried to get him to participate? And while I do appreciate her efforts, it just made the disparity between them that much obvious.

But hey, I'm in their demographic. I love Anne Hathaway and James Franco as actors. Okay, so they're not exactly the best Oscar hosts ever. I still like them. I still applaud how they handled their first time hosting the Oscar stage. The opening video, though something I'd expect from the MTV Movie Awards, was cool. Anne making potshots at Hugh Jackman through a butchered-version of "On My Own" was exclusively funny... if you didn't watch the Oscars the year Hugh hosted, you wouldn't get it. And JAMES FRANCO IN DRAG.

Plus, he was live-tweeting pictures and videos from backstage the entire time, which felt very human to me. 

All in all, so it wasn't perfect, but I don't think it was a train wreck. They did the best that they could and I commend them for it.

---

This would have been fun if I watched with friends. But the tweeting made it seem that way at least, so I'm not complaining. Although I would very much like to take a page out of Rachel Berry's book (I know, right?!) and have my own "Oscar Room", with a bar and mini-stage where I can host my own Oscar After Party, complete with Oscar-inspired menu and cocktails! Some of those recipes look interesting. Maybe one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights