127 Hours

... was 93 minutes of INTENSE. Going in, I had a vague recollection of what it was about, having only seen the trailer the week before. I knew it starred James Franco and it and he were both nominated for Oscars. (Though, Franco has a lot of competition with Colin Firth this year.) I knew it was about an adventurer, Aron Ralston, who got stuck in the middle of practically nowhere because of a boulder that crushed his hand. And those 127 hours? The amount of time he spends struggling... with his fate, with his emotions, with his decisions, with the choice to live or die.

Crudely, I can compare what he experienced with the five stages of grief: Denial. (You've GOT to be kidding me. Did this just happen?!) Anger. (WTF! STUPID ROCK!) Bargaining. (*chip chip chip* *grunt* *lasso rock and try pulling*) Depression. (*records on camera* Hi Mom, Dad. I might not make it. Just so you know, I love you.) And later on, Acceptance.

You would think that to spend almost 2 hours in a cinema watching this kind of drama would be boring. But no. Everything before the inevitable conclusion was very nicely built-up. The scenes and background music all beautifully support the character's emotion. Initially, he is excited, so it is all dynamic. There would be shots of him in vertical frames, the colors on the screen so vivid. The music would be thumping, heart-pounding. There is constant movement.

Then, at that scene, it stops. It's quiet as Aron's predicament starts to set in. And the audience sits back, sits up, perches on the edge of their seats, KNOWING what will eventually happen, what he has to do. But we have to wait. Like Aron did. And we feel his disbelief, his frustration. We experience his delirium in flashes of blurry memories. We know the exact moment he decides to LIVE, but still, it doesn't make us anymore ready.

127 Hours is emotional and powerful, more so when you find out it's actually based on a true story. I highly commend the director and the screenwriter for taking us on this person's incredible journey. Most of all, I praise James Franco. Singularly carrying a movie must be difficult, but he was able to pull it off. He made me feel more scared at his character's reality than in fictional demons and ghosts. At the same time, I was awed and ashamed that brave people like him existed while the rest of us ran at the slightest of life's obstacles. In the end, though, through my bawling--yes, because my inner empath was at work and THAT scene made me cry so much--I just wanted to hug him.

Do yourself a favor and watch 127 Hours. It's beautiful.

Comments

  1. I have no doubt that it's a great movie, but I just don't think my heart could handle watching something this intense hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights