A Former pRO Gamer's Memories in Screenshots

Ragnarok Online was the one of the first MMORPGs that opened up the world of online gaming for Filipinos including me. You could say RO "baptized" the gamer-that-I-didn't-know-I-had in its fun, colorful waters, and if not for real life I would have completely jumped in and never come out. But, well, things happen and have to be prioritized. The game was a big part of my life in so many ways, so I am proud to be among the many ex-gamers who bid it a fond farewell as it closes its doors in the Philippines permanently on March 31.

Fortunately, I was able to save my screenshots on a CD before I stopped playing and let go of an old PC. Here I am rummaging through those screenies for pRO memories.

Placing under a cut because it's gonna get image-heavy...



The Marriage Patch
The Marriage Patch used to be very popular in the game, where the girl sprite would wear a nice wedding dress and the boy sprite would be in a cool tux. (But before that you both need to have about a million or so zeny each, an accurate representation of art imitating life. LOL.) The ceremony is presided by the King of Rune Midgard in Prontera Church.

Of course, we were not satisfied with just a Las Vegas-type quickie wedding (even if it is the King of Rune Midgard) so we had a nice little ceremony in another location (I forgot now which) officiated by none other than GM Phage...
...who even serenaded us with our theme song. :D


Those power effects make for really awesome wedding fireworks!
Our wedding photo! :D 

From Mage to Wiz
Getting to lvl 50 was a big deal for a mage because then they can take the dreaded Wizard exam to get upgraded. This is why I had that chat open. (In another screenshot, the chat title went: "Got to lvl 50 through honest leveling!" Bots were already beginning to be an issue at the time.)

"Yer a wizard, Harry!" Well, Harry, I bet you were never dressed this sexy. /wink

Town Scenes
Divine encounters with GM Lilith
Priestess hang out.
The bustling Prontera marketplace.
One of my favorite Prontera stories was when the server went down and avatars started disappearing one by one, from the top of the map going down. So some of the merchants would scamper to the bottom trying vainly to escape it, crying "KINUKUHA NA TAYO NI LORD!" all the way. 
The population of Prontera usually made town event monster summons really exciting. Just look at all that red! 
Novices all in a row.
Encounters with the Negaverse
The screenshot: One of my first encounters with an ingame troll.
Naturally, there are bound to be not-so-pleasant individuals who like taking advantage of their anonymity. And their new "powers". One of my husband's commonly told anecdotes was of me in the early days, complaining of being transported to Glast Heim, which was the highest level area at the time, because I looked like a scammer--my mage used to wear a smiley mask while hanging out in Prontera. (Apparently that was the usual scammer uniform. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT.) Fortunately, they remedied that oft-abused Aco/Priest spell, removing the ability to place portals directly under unsuspecting players so that people can't be teleported against their will without their knowledge.
Another pet peeve of most players, the terrible "sawsaw". (I really couldn't resist telling this player off.) Usually, this is committed by range characters such as archers/hunters and magic users. I think they did something to curb this, too, and made it so only first hitters get the drops and exp, if I remember correctly. 

 Friendship is Magic!
Hubby's character wearing my beloved signature Corsair. He was eventually able to upgrade it to +9 but I don't think we ever got it to +10 because I was worried it would fail and I was REALLY attached to it.
The Butcher's was our little guild's favorite hang-out spot. 
The favorite RO expression: /gg



And now for some cute sprite screenies!




Back when we were still first level characters!
The Shadowmaidens! An all-female guild in Fenrir I was happy to be a member of that favors the agits in Payon. The guys are from our male counterpart, the Shadowlords.
I love the art of the maps in RO. Here's my mage just chillin' on a huge flower and feeling like Thumbelina.
Taunting one of the Pyramids' monsters.
Santa!!!
One of my favorite maps was the Toy Factory.
Here I was able to take a shot with an Angeling.
Also a favorite: Niflheim!

Bye pRO! Thanks for the memories!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights