How I Saw It: Dredd (3D)

We caught a screening of Dredd last weekend after rave reviews from friends. Ronald particularly warned that it was very bloody. Coming from watching Resident Evil: Retribution and Expendables, blood shouldn't be a problem.

Now, I'm not usually a big fan of action movies, but I'd go watch it (and spend a ticket on it), if it stars actors I like. In Dredd's case, I found out it was Karl Urban (Eomer from LOTR, and McCoy from Star Trek).

Dredd is set in a post-apocalyptic world where people called Judges preserve order by being all of police, jury, and executioner. Lead character Judge Dredd is asked by the Chief Judge to assess female rookie Judge Anderson. For her first assignment, she chooses to respond to a homicide in Peach Trees, a mega-city that also serves as headquarters for criminal Ma-Ma, who traps them and tries to have them killed. (Gotta give the girl props for unknowingly picking the short straw on bad guys.)

Naturally, I don't have to tell you that they make it out alive. But if you're curious, the answer is yes. Otherwise, there would be no point in the creators' plans of making a sequel. LOL.

The movie is completely badass, serious without being nostalgic, with a pretty linear plotline that doesn't veer away from PRESENT HAPPENING to discuss the HOWS and WHYS of Dredd's existence. This leaves a lot of questions, especially for people like me who've only heard of Judge Dredd in geek community passing but never followed any of the comics. (I read the wiki for backstory when I got home.) Although the good thing about it is you get to concentrate on just one story. Not to mention, yes, it leaves a lot of room for sequels.

As for gore: There was a lot of blood, and people getting shot point-blank in the head, skinned, and tossed over balconies. And because we watched it all in glorious 3D, I had to remove my glasses a number of times to spare myself the... um... full impact. I do not question the R16 rating Paul noted as we walked in the theater. I think if they rated it R18 I still wouldn't complain. I'm glad I don't fall into those restrictions, at least, but I'd definitely censor it for anyone immature.

By the way, the 3D quality here was impressive, especially in translating the effects of a forbidden drug Ma-Ma was distributing. It actually made me feel like I was the trippy one. Had to remove my glasses for that, too, as it almost made MY head ache.

Would it be weird though if I said that I'd watch a sequel? (I hope Karl Urban is contracted for all movies.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights