How I Saw It: Resident Evil: Retribution

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, and I never really played the video game, which doesn't explain why I have seen the last four Resident Evil movies. I blame peer pressure. (Okay, I admit I saw the previous one, Resident Evil: Afterlife, because of Ali Larter of Heroes and Wentworth Miller of Prison Break.) Yesterday's impromptu viewing of Retribution was due to the husband... and because I didn't want to watch the new John Lloyd-Bea Alonzo movie, "The Mistress".

Retribution picked up where Afterlife ended, and fortunately started with a bit more of a flashback to get us up to snuff on what happened in the latter. Milla Jovovich's Alice narrated. I was grateful for this mainly because I remember Afterlife didn't give much of a backstory, so all those Alices in the beginning of that movie confused me.

Anyway, short plot synopsis: Alice wakes up prisoner in an Umbrella facility where she's interrogated-slash-tortured by possessed Jill Valentine. She's rescued by Ada Wong, ex-Umbrella operative turned good girl, who tells her that they're in a super-secret Umbrella testing facility located underwater, under-ice, somewhere near Russia. They have to traverse the simulation environments and meet up with a retrieval group to get up to the surface and to freedom!

Naturally, the retrieval group is only composed of 5 humans. One of them is Leon Kennedy, a character from the actual games. As Ada is also another game character (in her movie debut!) you can guess how many people, counting main character Alice, survived in the end.

Come to think of it, this movie has a bit of fan service, especially in the last scene, when you get all the popular badasses posed together in one shot, with an US AGAINST THE WORLD vibe. (Literally, because they're the last humans left and they're surrounded by a world of infected.)

I guess for entertainment value, Retribution is okay. You know, if you have a passing interest and knowledge of the game, you've seen the other movies, you've got nothing else to do and it's either that or John Lloyd.

Not that there's anything wrong with John Lloyd. I just wanted to wait until my more jologs sister could watch The Mistress with us. Honest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights