Who's your literary crush?

Aha! I am caught creating a Valentine's-related post! I couldn't resist as it was too tempting to answer this somewhere.

Lucy of the Fully Booked twitter account RT'ed this article from the Huffington Post where some of today's authors share the fictional men and women who made their hearts go thump-thump.

I am by no means an author. (Although, a girl can dream, right?) But I read. I spent my childhood "nose in a book" much like Belle of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. And because I'm very much a romantic, my high school years introduced me to and had a preference for the romantic novel.

Gratuitous picture of Matthew Macfadyen as Darcy. Because, you know, this is a post about literary crushes. Besides, that article by the Huffington Post had one.

Naturally, romance is probably the perfect genre to look for someone fictional to crush on. Famously, there's Mr. Darcy of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Admittedly, though, I only felt totally enamored of him after I watched the 2005 movie where he was played by Matthew Macfadyen. So here: I used to "fictionally" adore Ian Thornton, the hero of Judith McNaught's book, Almost Heaven. The thing about McNaught's heroes, they are first introduced to us as rakes, but are quickly redeemed when more of their story is revealed. Ian Thornton is probably the most... dare I say, perfect?... of all her heroes. He's tall, obviously handsome (I mean, what romantic hero isn't?), and highly intelligent. Actually, he has GENIUS level intelligence -- I can still recall where parts of the book describe him speed reading and calculating lines of accounts over his astounded wife's shoulder in seconds. Take note, this was the regency period. There were no calculators back then. He's also an expert marksman and horseman. And did I mention he's the grandson of the Duke of Stanhope, therefore, is of royal blood?

Oh, I guess I should also say that he's loyal and loves his wife to eternity. But that should be expected of good romance heroes after all.

I know, I know. I bet people were colored shock: "What?! You, you big Twilight fan and your foremost literary crush isn't Edward Cullen???" I'm sure Twilighters of this generation may one day point to Edward as their foremost literary crush, but I'm 30. There have been a lot of guys before Edward. :P

Comments

  1. Mine was Prince Caspian from Narnia. Edmund's my fave character, but Prince Caspian is my <3 I thought he was so dreamy, that I found Ben Barnes a disappointment - and it's hard to find Ben Barnes disappointing in any aspect hahaha!

    Also Laurie from Little Women. :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights