My Breastfeeding Experience (Warning: This post will have boobs.)

While pregnant, I was already decided that I would breastfeed. I had the encouragement of already-mom friends, my OBGyne and even my dermatologist who were insistent that it would be the best thing. The proof was in my husband who was breastfed until he was two and he rarely gets sick! So, I said, Psshaw. Breastfeeding. How hard could it be?

The first few days with our baby were definitely a struggle. He was crying all the time, and I would try to feed him but NOTHING would come out. It worried me, because my mom said she wasn't able to produce breastmilk, so my siblings and I weren't breastfed. I thought, well, maybe it's hereditary and I might not be producing milk, too! I kept saying this to people who would listen: my husband, my mother-in-law, the nurses and the midwives who would come in to the room to help us soothe the baby.  

Then there was the pain part. Can I just say? It HURT. I had no idea a newborn's jaws could have so much chomping power! I had never been so aware of my breasts in my entire life! The ads on TV (yes, you can see how much influence media has) make it look so calm and easy. I remember dreading when he would cry because it meant another assault on my poor nipples.

But beyond the fear of pain, was the knowledge of my goal. I wanted my baby to be healthy. I wanted him to have this benefit. Then there was my ever-present fear of being judged: I did not want to be a quitter. I always believe that there's a light at the end of every tunnel. So, despite feeling like my breasts would fall off, I offered them to my son, albeit, while closing my eyes and biting my lip. I also dealt with it my usual way: by jokingly lamenting about it on my social networks.

Yes, there's this benefit, too!
A bit of sacrifice does reap its rewards. The day after we went home from the hospital, my milk started to flow. (Interestingly, on that day, we also brought baby to the pediatrician who stated that he was dehydrated and prescribed formula. My milk started to come in right after leaving the clinic.) And it took a while, but now breastfeeding is a painless process. The pain only comes when I don't breastfeed because my boobs are engorged. (I did warn there would be boobs in this post. LOL.)

I'm very grateful to my friends and family, especially to my best friend, Al, my mother-in-law, and Jja Dee who tirelessly endorsed it, supported me and answered all my questions. I think I was also lucky that the hospital I chose to give birth in, the Medical City in Ortigas, had a strong breastfeeding program. Everyone, from its doctors to its nurses and midwives would encourage you to breastfeed. It made not giving up less difficult. So, guys, thank you.

Comments

  1. There are so many benefits to breastfeeding. I just hope that Monster Milk bill gets revised back to the original Milk Bill 2 version.

    Kudos to staying committed to breastfeeding despite the initial hardships.

    One very big plus of breastfeeding that I discovered first-hand: Brie has a very strong immune system (from what I've observed comparing to other babies her age that are formula-fed). I stopped her vaccines after the second or third dose so she never got the MMR dose and she only got the ones given at the local health center. (After much research, vaccination does not provide 100% immunity and it is not for life, despite most doctors claims.) I'd prefer she have a very strong immune system and get lifetime immunity from exposure to chickenpox or rubella or mumps or measles.

    When she was more than a year old, I got rubella and was covered in rashes everywhere...and I do mean EVERYWHERE! It is contagious so I had to stay in the spare room. I continued breastfeeding Brie. She ended up with only a small rash (like prickly heat only) on her back. That's all.

    At 2.5years old, she's still breastfed and has only had 2 bouts of sickness (the kind where she has to take special medicine and be brought to a doctor). Otherwise, she usually heals within a day with only Tempra for fever.

    Hopefully, you can breastfeed your little Munchlax as long as he likes. The benefits are endless and will last his lifetime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maiko! Sadly, I wasn't able to breastfeed him for as long as I would have liked. (I actually miss it already... I never thought I would say that!) My goal was to at least breastfeed him for one year, but it was touch and go the last few months before he turned one. And it was I think at around 6 or 7 months when he started rejecting me. (Imagine! A boy who didn't want to suck on boobs! LOL.) We fed him my expressed milk, but since he wouldn't get it directly from the breast anymore, and since apparently that's the best way to induce lactation, my supply ran low.

      Delete
  2. Mine came out after three days and I was already crying. I was so scared that there would be no milk at all! It pays to wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. :) I actually miss breastfeeding now. I hope the milk won't take too long to come out next time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights