The Thing about Birthday Parties

I'm not sure if it's just a sign of the times, but for some reason, kiddie birthday parties with all the trimmings are "all the rage". They have definitely evolved from the simple parties I was used to. Sure, there's still cake, ice cream and candy, games, magicians, balloons and souvenirs. But now that party organizers and suppliers are available, it's possible to turn a simple kiddie party into one big production. Sometimes complete with mascot and engraved invites.

I don't begrudge this of parents, of course. If they have the funds and the bevy of friends with kids who will enjoy the offerings, then why not? I CANNOT HELP raising my eyebrow though when I think it's... a little "over the top"? I mean, really? Does your kid NEED to have his ONE-YEAR OLD party at Shangri-La Makati? And why the birthday cake that looks like a freaking wedding cake? (Unless, okay, maybe you guys like cake...)

Personally, as much as I love and adore my kid and want to show him off, I can't justify having a hugeass, expensive party for him, especially when he's not even at an age that can appreciate it yet. (I'll probably make it up to him when he turns 6 or 7.) Plus, there's that whole "I'm-not-really-good-with-parties" thing. I mean, just organizing his baptism, which was a relatively small affair already packaged at Max's, mind you, gave me stress!

I don't mind treating people we love to good food though, so maybe it's small dinner parties until then. To each his own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights