500 Films: #3 Rango

 

One of the first things my husband said when the movie started was, "Jho should really watch this."

Rango is the story of a lizard. Well, he's a chameleon, but the point is, he's a lizard. Incidentally, my sister hates lizards. I could probably go on and on sharing anecdotes about all the times she freaked out regarding anything lizard-related--I think our uncle is to be blamed for the trauma--but we'd be diverging too much from what this post is supposed to be about, which is the movie.

Anyway, so, Rango is the story of a lizard. Set like a Mexican Western. And voiced by the incomparable Johnny Depp. I heard it was number one in the U.S. Also, our theater was full when we watched. Who KNEW that even looking nothing like himself, and as a scaly, icky, uncool reptile no less, people would STILL flock to watch Johnny. That's real stardom right there folks.

I certainly didn't think I'd watch it. Even if it IS Johnny. Going back to my history of judging movies from their trailers, Rango's trailer... didn't tell much. It was about a lizard. A FREAKING LIZARD. With Johnny Depp's voice, but STILL. (You can see how suspicious I am about their marketing dependence on Johnny right here.) Of course, it did get to number one in the U.S., and I do have that history circa Wall-E (another time, another post), so I thought, "Meh."

Just to put things into perspective, our Saturday movie choices were Red Riding Hood and How Do You Know.

The movie was surprisingly fun, and artistically-accurate. They went for the full western experience: desert, tumbleweed, saloons, chaps, sheriff, shotguns, riding at sunset, showdowns and guitar backgrounds. Albeit, the characters were much more varied and creature-y... but, I guess, a rather apt animal translation of the usual western patrons. The plot is simple enough: a Nobody finds a place where he can be finally be Somebody. It's a tale of belonging and identity. I say this because the lizard used to be just a lizard until he was forced to improvise. He found his name on a bottle of liquor. He wove this intricate web of lies about himself to secure his place in a strange town, only to be unmasked later on. It's the story about someone who tries to adapt and change himself when really, he should just be comfortable in his own skin. We've heard of these kinds of stories before, and you think it's cliche until you see someone twist it, pound it into originality. In this case, it was their use of the chameleon as a lead character. I find the irony of that very amusing. And somewhat brilliant.

The fun parts were the little easter eggs in the movie. Like the part where Rango goes to the west and he's carried away by little bugs. With his hat. And the part with the boat...

Paul: *whispering* He's in another scene with a boat.
Me: *whispering* Yeah, and see how he can't leave without his hat.

Both are reminiscent of Jack Sparrow scenes. Then, this morning, my husband pointed out that the name of the rattlesnake, Jake, is the name of a popular wrestler. (My knowledge of professional wrestlers ended with Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant.) He also said, "You know, I think there's a pinoy in the cast. The name of the plastic tree, the one that he said is too wooden? He calls him Victor." Victor Wood. LOL.

I have to mention, my favorite of the entire thing was the mariachi owl band that served as both narrator and provider of background music. They were like somber versions of the Madagascar penguins.

"That lizard? He is going to die."
I love those owls. Their neat feathers and put-together outfits and grave but blunt storytelling was a good diversion when you get tired of seeing dirty, messy clothes, creepy animal noses and scales.

Speaking of scales, I almost forgot that this movie is about a lizard.

My sister is never watching this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights