Looking forward to: Snow White and the Huntsman

Snow White, of all the Disney princesses, is my least favorite. She annoys me for some reason. Her inate fragility, that irritating way she sings, her godawful song that goes "Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah" (choo! Bless you! I just added that in.) I watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs once and never did again.

Which is why, for the life of me, I have NO IDEA why this particular princess seems to be the focal point of recent media. She's actually the lead character in the TV series Once Upon a Time and has not one, but TWO movies coming out this year: Mirror, Mirror this month and Snow White and the Huntsman in June.  

The great thing about her reemergence into popular fiction is that the screenwriters of these shows have reworked Snow White. Gave her guts. Turned her into a 21st century woman of fantasy's Middle Ages. Less damsel-in-so-much-distress and more call-me-damsel-in-distress-and-I'll-forcefeed-you-this-poison-apple. I think it's awesome! ('Coz I swear if I hear that wishing well song one more time...) I also think it's a tad... overdue? People, Cinderella has already had so many reincarnations as an independent, strong-willed woman. (Sidenote: Drew Barrymore's Ever After is my favorite movie of all time.) It's about time Snow followed in her footsteps.

I guess considering what I've written, you see how, of the two reimagined-SW films coming up, I'm more looking forward to this one:


To be fair, Mirror, Mirror will also have a strong heroine. The difference is, Snow White in SWatH isn't just going to be strong. Apparently, they're aiming for her to be BADASS.

See Exhibit A:


Exhibit B:


The huntsman doesn't leave Snow in the forest. Instead he teaches her how to fight. She'll be horseback-riding and wearing suits of armor and carrying a sword that's not just for decor! (I rhymed!) Color me excited!

And no, my biases for this film having some of my favorite people in the cast don't come into play in my excitement. Nuh uh.

(Okay, you got me. Chris Hemsworth is cute. But total girl crush on both Charlize and Kristen. Plus, like I mentioned in a recent tweet, I'm SO GLAD that Kristen, who's gotten so much flak for playing mostly emo roles, is finally going to show us how kickass she can be! At the moment, my main concern is for the screenplay. I hope it's good.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights