How I saw it: Mirror, Mirror

Remember I mentioned they were releasing TWO Snow White-centered films this year?

Well, I just watched one, the movie that has Julia Roberts playing the wicked queen.

Okay, first of all, I know I said how I'm highly anticipating the other one that stars Kristen Stewart. But it doesn't mean that I wasn't eager to watch this one, too. I love Julia. I also generally fancy fairy tales. And I am aware how different Mirror, Mirror will be, especially in terms of story.

In addition, Armie Hammer's in it and he makes for great eye candy. Yum.

So you see, I tried really hard to not think about my biases and be objective. Anyway, here goes...

The movie was dark.

No, I don't mean that figuratively. I'm not sure if it was just me, but the movie could have stood a little more brightness. Like, if I was watching it on my laptop, I would have pressed F2's sun icon to full capacity. There were all these bold, happy colors on the set and on the costumes (THE COSTUMES! <3) and they didn't really stand out because of that strange lack of light. Was it the film they used? Was it the cinematography? I felt like I was watching it on 3D -- you know how things just seem so dark when you're wearing those glasses -- and I wasn't.

Also, I was VERY DISTRACTED by Julia's on-again, off-again, now-there is, now-there-isn't accent. Was she trying for a regal British tone? Sometimes I think she was but then she'd revert back to her normal voice. And then there would be that hint of it again. It was SO WEIRD. The only time there was consistency was when she was talking as the Mirror. I liked her as the Mirror.

Speaking of the Mirror, their take on it was quite unique.

I won't comment so much about the screenplay. They mostly stuck with the basic: Evil Queen wants to have Snow White killed for being a pest in her life. Although they did get her to become her own hero in the end. The dialogue wasn't very memorable. Some of the scenes were cliche. There were funny moments though. Few, involving the dwarves mainly. Oh, and Armie Hammer as a puppy. XD <-- (Because that seriously needed an emoticon.)

If I must rave about something in Mirror, Mirror, it has to be the costumes. The ball gowns were sweeping. The colors were unabashedly bright. They were beautiful! They were exquisite! They wanted me to COSPLAY FROM THIS MOVIE SO BADLY. Everything was a work of art! It's sad that the designer, Eiko Ishioka, passed on early this year. They dedicated the movie to her at the end credits. 

I must note this (and this might be a big spoiler to a lot so don't read past the pictures if you don't want to know.)

Swan costume. So much more flattering than the now-infamous outfit worn by Bjork, don't you think?

I want this cape.

Sean Bean is the king! Paul and I were almost hysterical when he emerged near the ending because the king is reported to be dead at the beginning of the story. (Well, honestly, we weren't surprised with the big plot reveal. It was obvious, I think.) He LIVES! SEAN BEAN LIVES!


Personally, I'm glad he only came out at the end. Why? Mirror, Mirror may have fantastic costumes and it may have tried to reinvent Snow White as a character, but there was a certain campiness to it that wasn't very flattering. And for that, I'm sorry, but I think it didn't deserve someone as special as Sean Bean. He felt so out of place in it.

Edit: Oooh, look what Bea pointed me to:


Seems like Papa Sean is aware of his "death reel". XD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights