My Thoughts on Asia's Next Top Model Cycle 2

I rarely get to catch it on its late night time slot, but on the off day I turn on the TV to Star World and a rerun of Asia's Next Top Model is on, I make sure to watch. Currently, the series is on its seventh episode and half of the 16 girls have already been sent home.

Fellow Filipinos will rejoice and wave their #YEYPINOYPRIDE flags knowing that both our representatives, Jodilly Pendre and Katarina Rodriguez are still, and I quote, "in the running to be Asia's Next Top Model." Here's what I think about the girls that are left.

Jodilly. I guess, being Pinoy, I'd have to comment first about Jodilly and Katarina. I actually prefer the former over the latter, and part of it has to do with her life story. I know. I know. I've read people online saying "Stop it with Jodilly's sob stories!" "Ugh, her life is SO sad... like duh. Whatever." And while she's not exactly an underdog among the contestants, having already won one Best Photo and being consistently on the top tier of the call-outs, she sees herself as an underdog in real life. I don't care if people think that's just how the editors are spinning it. I can tell this is true from her non-aggressive demeanor. (My sister and I have actually discussed this--that people who come from more humble beginnings are less likely to assert themselves compared to those who were born into better circumstances.) I love how she's not including herself in fights in the condo, that she did a little giddy dance when she had first call-out, that she's pretty much keeping away from all the issues BUT trying very hard during her challenges and photoshoots. Her look is very Filipina, so she should own that and show it. I hope she'll come out really strong in the later episodes. Do your best, Jodilly!



Katarina. I think she's very pretty. Apparently, this is not a big asset in the Top Model series the way the judges throw the word around like it's a newly-discovered animal they have no idea what to do with. "She's pretty... but..." You gotta love that "BUT". I can, sort of, see their point of view. The other girls are not as good-looking as Katarina, but their pictures deliver attitude, variety, movement, and expression, which hers lack. I remember her mentioning that she had the least modelling experience among the contestants, and I can understand that. Still, I hope she'll wake up one episode, look at the mirror and learn how to do Tyra's "smize". Show a bit more life in her eyes, and not just be dependent on those good genes. Because anyone can be "pretty", but not everyone can be a "model".



Marie. I like that Marie is of mixed race. You can tell she's Japanese by her eyes, but the combination with her dark skin makes her look very unique. She's in the lead so far with two Best Photos. I think she became more confident after the hair makeover, which served her well. In Marie, we see what can happen when you visit a good hairstylist who knows how to give you great hair!



Nicole. During the first episode, I was very amused with Nicole and her insistence on making rules for their temporary living arrangements. Model-wise, I thought she looked very plain.  But her succeeding photoshoots made me change my mind. The judges use the word "chameleon" on the other girls, but I think Nicole deserves it more. Her face completely changes depending on the makeup and she adapts to the clothes and/or setting. As a contender, she's quite strong. I would be very disappointed if she didn't at least make top three.

Sheena. Right now, I think Sheena is defined by her dyed blond hair, which is a novelty among Asians. It makes her look different, very fashionable, and rock-chic. It makes her pop. However, I don't see much variety or risk in her poses. It begs me to wonder, could she still model WITHOUT that blond hair?

Josephine. "Jojo", as she's fondly called in the show, showed that she was one to beat during the first episode, and has been consistently top-ranked in the call-outs. Her strength is that she's confident--and you can tell she is--and her poses are well thought out. I think it's great that she seems to know her angles, but she's eclipsed by Marie and Nicole when it comes to edginess.


Natalie. Like Katarina, I find Natalie quite pretty, her mixed heritage lending very well to a typical model-type face. Unfortunately, she doesn't really stand out to me. Fortunately, even if she is dropped out of the running early, I feel that she will still have a career in the modelling industry because of her Caucasian looks.

Last but not the least, Tia. Tia is also quite pretty. However, she's been consistently in the bottom tier for the last few episodes. She needs to give her poses some more thought, and work that pretty face like she did in the first shoot, otherwise, I'm afraid she might be the next one sent home.



While I am, naturally, rooting for our home girls to win, I think that even if they don't, they will still have a blossoming future in the modelling industry. I think that all of them will. So, good luck, ladies!

Photos sourced from Asia's Next Top Model S2 website on StarWorldAsia.TV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights