Asia's Next Top Model and the Contestant with Nine Lives

I'm not much for reality shows, but the Top Model series is one of my guilty pleasures. I don't watch them religiously, but I do tune in when I manage to catch an episode on cable.


Then last year, they started Asia's Next Top Model, which pits girls from each Asian country against each other. Naturally, and you should be aware of this if you're Filipino, nothing gets that whole "Pinoy Pride" blood pumping than an international competition with a Filipino finalist. What made me more intrigued was the said finalist also happens to be from Bacolod, my family's province. Plus, I'm a curious frustrated fashion wannabe (I mean, I wish, but it was one of those never-ever-insertTaylorSwiftSong-meant-to-be things). So you can see how this all contributes to make me turn on the TV every Sunday night when I normally wouldn't, and risk waking up my son.

My favorite is actually Kate Ma of Taiwan. I love that she's so crazy.

That is, until three episodes ago when it was already obvious to me who would be winning, and when our Filipino rep, Stephanie Retuya, got her third straight slot in the Bottom Two... and was saved... for the nth time. Let me just get a handle on that for a moment.

First, a disclaimer: I have no fashion experience whatsoever, but I like to look, as does most people. If I start ranting, it's not because I'm hating. I'd like to think I'm being objective, as an outside observer with no clue of what's going on except for what she sees on camera. Also, I happen to like Stephanie; without the "Pinoy Pride" Goggles of Extreme Subjectivity (TM), I think she's sweet and charming.

That being said, I am disappointed that she can't seem to perform as well as the others. She's never won a challenge. She's never had Best Photo, although she's come close. Apparently, her strength seems to be on the runway, but Top Model is about good pictures. I am mystified as to how she's escaped elimination 5 times already, and is now even in the Final Three! The judges keep telling Sofia Wakabayashi (Japan) about her lucky shots, but Stephanie's the one with all the luck, it seems. She's been bottom 2 in two non-elimination rounds, where we all assume she would have definitely been kicked otherwise, and in the other episodes, the judges have had plausible reasons for letting the other girl go.

Girl's got nine lives, y'all!

Still, I don't think it will get her the title [of being Asia's Next Top Model]. Luck can only do so much, and Jessica of Thailand is just too good, too... natural; she should be in a Maybelline commercial. ("Maybe she's born with it...") Rumor also has it that, since this show is pretaped, there are already quite a number of fashion editorials with her face on them, and most of them came from Europe. I mean, if her four Best Photos didn't give the result away yet, that definitely did.

Not to be a spoilsport or anything, but I think this photo does not mean tht Stephanie wins. I think this screenshot was because Tyra visited and she greeted all the girls and Stephanie hugged her very enthusiastically.
Ah well, I wish Stephanie luck. She is pretty, has the height, the legs, and the skin. I guess she just needs experience. And being on a show like that will definitely open many doors, no matter what rank you get.

As for Asia's Next Top Model, I hope the ratings are not too dismal for this first cycle so they can do another one, dare I say, with more challenging contestants? Maybe then it won't be so predictable, at least the second time around.

Comments

  1. But is the final challenge going to be the runway anyway? If that is the case, she really has all the luck in the world!!!

    She having 9 lives also mystefies a lot of viewers so that somehow rubs off in the ratings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Even if the final challenge consists of the runway, notice that in Top Model finale episodes the judges go through all the photos before deciding who'll win. If anything, she'll be lucky to get to second place instead of Kate, but not lucky enough to grab the first slot from Jessica.

      Yeah, I wonder if that's one of the reasons they "keep" her in the competition: ratings. I mean, she always gets negative comments from the judges during deliberation, but they still choose her. Their preference for her over her co-bottoms are very slim. I don't get it. Unless they somehow figured that our country watches a LOT of TV, and we get maniacal about our reps and will stop watching if they're gone. *shrugs*

      Ah well, one more episode. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi there,

    StarWorld is about to launch the second season of Asia's Next Top Model, and we are looking for talented young ladies who are going to be the next big thing!

    We are on the search for young women with the following requirements:

    Aged between 16 to 27 years old
    at least 170cm (5'7") tall
    Speaks fluent English
    Bursting with personality

    These young ladies should not be professional models as we are looking for amazing raw talent. I will love to know if there is anyone that you will like to recommend, or if you will be happy to help us to spread the word thru your blog.

    Asia's Next Top Model is broadcasted under the Fox International umbrella, the number 1 entertainment channel beamed into millions of homes over 14 countries.

    The stakes are high. It will be exciting. It's a real test to where your career can go.

    The site is now open for application, and this can be found at:
    http://www.starworldasia.tv/AsiaNTM2

    For further information or assistance, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights