Achievement "Wearing a kimono in Japan" Unlocked!

So this is where I get to share my most awesome day of wearing an actual kimono and walking along actual temple streets in actual Japan. LOL. Obviously, I love kimono! The color, the pretty designs, the formality, the elegance and daintiness of it all... One of my big dreams has always been to wear one, and specifically, wear it in its native land. Back when we first travelled here in 2007, my goal was to own a set, however, I balked when I saw how much a new one (or even an old one) costs; I decided to purchase yukata, the summer kimono, instead. Because we were headed for Kyoto for this trip, I thought, well, why not see if I can wear one while touring their amazing temples? Magpaka-ilusyonada nang nasa Memoirs of a Geisha or Rurouni Kenshin! 

It took procrastinating and a lot of very-rushed, should-I-shouldn't-I decision-making before I made reservations with Okamoto Kimono's branch in Kiyomizuzaka. At the time, I thought we could maybe visit three or four temples, and do the Sayuri walk in Fushimi Inari. /FeelingeraModeOn

Image-heavy area after...




Took the bus going to Kiyomizu Temple at Kyoto Station. I should make a separate blog post
about Kyoto buses... ("Should" being the operative word.)

Hah! Remembered to take a screenshot of the directions from the site. (Because
85% of the time we forgot to get maps or anything on this trip.) 

Entering Okamoto Kimono. (That's their
entrance on the left photo.)
Roomful of so much pretteh! :D You cannot believe how long it took me to choose! (NOT COMPLAINING.)
If you got the 5250Y plan, you get to choose from all the racks of kimono (except the ones for large-sized individuals). Then you get an inner robe (for the inner collar), an obi (belt), a thin decorative tie to wear over the obi,  and a bag. They'll help you out if you have trouble coordinating.
Hubby trying out some men's kimono. Guys
have it easier. :P
Here's the set I eventually went with, with some assistance from the nice
staff. My initial choice was a simple red one with small rabbits printed.
I changed it to this for the lovely blue color. It's not clear but my obi still
has a rabbit design. :)

Obviously, cameras are a no-no in the dressing room, so I sadly don't have documentation of the layers upon layers of ties under all that cloth, or of how the skillful ladies were able to wrap me up like a colorful burrito and tie up the pretty but intricate bow. I know, I know. There's always youtube. But it's just not the same compared to seeing it done on yourself.

<-- Here I am, in the hair setting area, though. It was a 500Y additional cost, but worth it because they were able to funkify my presently-short hair. I initially thought it wasn't possible. (Plus, I could hear my sister in my head saying, "Manang! You're wearing something so nice & yet you didn't even take the time to comb your hair!" My shobe serves as my beauty-conscience.)


And here we are!


It's now time to rejoin the masses and go visit
some temples!


This is going up to Kiyomizu temple. In a previous entry, I mentioned that I had plans of using buses to do a temple tour around the city? Well, it turns out the rental shop's location isn't quite so conducive for that... at least for us. Generally-speaking, it's possible, and maybe the other patrons have accomplished it without breaking a sweat. But since hubby and I didn't fancy the trek down and back up after--in geta!--we kept to the surrounding areas instead. It was still a large place, with great views, and temples left and right if you were motivated enough.







There was quite a bit of climbing...
... relaxing...
... and looking at charms.

Fellow temple visitors near the incense
burner.

Back view of male kimono.

Back shot with nice view of the temple balcony.
They let you borrow sandals. But the tabi (socks) are
a gift and you can take them home.

Before we knew it, it was time to go back to the shop to return the kimono. The pictures don't show it, but our path led us to Kiyomizu-dera, through Sannenzaka and Ninnenzaka, to the side of Yasaka Shrine--we got lost... we eventually figured out where the front was--Kodaiji Temple, and Ryozen Kannon. The guidebooks and maps tell you most areas are only a something-something-minute walk, but it can take longer if you're not used to traversing uneven stones in Japanese sandals. (And if you're not fit enough! So before doing this, exercise! It helps in traveling!)

It was sad changing back to my regular clothes. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to do it again! Next goal: to come back and wear kimono during sakura season! Preferably with friends? :D

My many many thanks to the ladies at Okamoto Kimono in Kiyomizuzaka for the wonderful experience! :) どもありがとございます!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights