I don't like bling.

We were in Marina Bay Sands on our way to the Skypark entrance when we stopped by the display of a jewelry store and I quipped about a hugeass ring on display. One of the store's clerks came out and chatted with us. He pointed out one of their new merchandise, a diamond pendant, but the diamond is actually encased in a glass sphere, in effect making it look bigger than it actually is. It was very pretty, but Paul explained to him that I didn't like jewelry. I said because of the crime rate in our country, that it wasn't practical for people to wear, much less own, uber-expensive "body bling" as they invariably get stolen at some point or another, and narrated my high school experience of having a (fortunately cheap) necklace snatched from me in broad daylight.

Later on, Paul and I reflected that we'd much rather spend on food and books and travel and experiences. But I think it's sad that people, particularly where we come from, have to always be wary about what they do, wear or buy because of others' envy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights