500 Films: #9 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

I did actually go through quite a few movies since my last movie entry. I'll try to catch up.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

I loved the first three films so much (both Paul and I favor the second more), that it was just obvious we'd be so in for this. Who wants to miss out on Johnny Depp as the incomparable Jack... I mean, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, yeah? And as always he brings it brilliantly. Everyone, in fact, was actually quite amazing.

I did think there were some pitfalls. One of the things I adored about the first three films was the dialogue, those snappy comebacks and witty one-liners that even made the lowliest of the supporting characters pop. In Tides, Jack had them, yes, but they were sparsely present. I was laughing and then stopping and then laughing... and I was just expecting it to be more consistent? And the story... I felt like it took them SO LONG to get to the fountain, that when they did, it was deflating. The entire time, I wanted them to just "Get to the fountain already! Get to the fountain already!" but when that scene came, I wasn't exactly looking forward to it anymore.

Also, the subplot with the sappy, cute missionary and the mermaid? Eyeroll. I do admit that they make very good eye candy, but if the writers just wanted to throw some romance in there to even things out, so we wouldn't miss Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, well, it failed. For me, at least. But again, yes, they DO make very good eye candy. And I'm interested on whether she brought him to the murky depths to eat him (He is dying. It would be a waste of good meat!) or to take him to King Triton/Sea Witch so he could be a reverse Little Mermaid... hah!

I WILL probably buy this on DVD, but it won't get as many rewatches as Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. Still. It's JOHNNY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renting a Kimono in Kyoto

5 Tips for the Visiting Muggle to Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan

The Pinoy Guide to Japan Travel: Flights